My research is qualitative and interdisciplinary. I combine theories and methods from social sciences, humanities, management, and engineering to produce unique frameworks and actionable insights.
Follow me on Google Scholar for updates on my research.
Tap the below folders to learn more about my research projects:
Values & Value Chains of Artificial Intelligence
Years: 2020 – Present
- How can the meaning of “artificial intelligence” be interpreted, and how might different interpretations influence AI development, use, and governance outcomes?
- What ethical concerns and governance implications can be identified by analyzing the value chains of AI systems?
- Review of influential interpretations of “intelligence” and “artificial intelligence” across multiple disciplinary perspectives.
- Review of business ethics considerations across a set of AI ethics guidelines.
- Value chain analysis of the ethics and governance of multiple hypothetical and real AI systems.
- Conference slides: “The ontological crisis in AI: Normative positions, interpretive frames, & future directions” (2023)
- Book chapter & German translation: “Queering intelligence: A theory of intelligence as performance and a critique of individual and artificial intelligence” (2023)
- Seminar slides: “The ethics of AI value chains: Implications for policy & practice” (2022)
- Conference slides: “The new ontologies of AI: A dilemma for AI governance” (2022)
- Research paper & research summary: “The ethics of AI business practices: A review of 47 AI ethics guidelines” (2022)
- Conference slides: “Intelligence as performance” (2021)
- Andrés De los Ríos & Deneille R. Walters on “The ethics of AI business practices: A review of 47 AI ethics guidelines”
The Governance of Artificial Intelligence in Canada
Years: 2019 – Present
- What are the characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses of Canada’s system of governing artificial intelligence? What opportunities for improvement exist?
- What comparative advantages and disadvantages does Canada’s AI governance system have relative to other nations?
- Knowledge synthesis of 80+ Canadian AI governance initiatives.
- Interviews with stakeholders in Canada’s AI governance ecosystem.
- Multi-method analysis of academic literature, grey literature, and interview data.
- Research paper: “The governance of artificial intelligence in Canada: Findings and opportunities from a review of 84 AI governance initiatives” (2023)
- Conference slides: “AI Governance and Worker Protections in Canada” (2022)
- Commentary: “Comments on the 3rd Review of the Directive on Automated Decision-making” (2022)
- Essay: “Public service, public-as-a-service, and public self-service” (2022)
- Opinion article in The Globe and Mail: “Once a promising leader, Canada’s artificial-intelligence strategy is now a fragmented laggard” (2022)
- Research paper: “Emerging national artificial intelligence innovation systems in Canada and China” (2020)
- Conference poster & conference abstract: “AI governance systems: Ontological explorations in the Canadian context” (2020)
- Ana Brandusescu & Kelly Lyons on “”The governance of artificial intelligence in Canada: Findings and opportunities from a review of 84 AI governance initiatives”
Service Systems Analysis Framework
- What theories and methods of service system analysis have been discussed in the recent literature?
- How might existing analysis frameworks be synthesized, improved, and applied to solving system design problems?
- Systematic review and synthesis of literature on service science, engineering, management, and design.
- Development of a multilayer framework for service system analysis.
- Application of the service system analysis framework to a specific business case.
- Book chapter: “A multilayer framework for service systems analysis.” (2019)
- Research paper: “Service systems analysis methods: A systematic literature review.” (2017)
- Kelly Lyons & Michael Cheng
Information Audit & Evaluation Framework
- How might information auditing frameworks be synthesized with information management evaluation frameworks?
- What components would be required of a synthesized information auditing and evaluation framework, and how might such a framework be applied in practice?
- Systematic review and synthesis of literature on information auditing and information management evaluation.
- Development of a synthesized framework for information auditing and evaluation.
- Application of the information auditing and evaluation framework to projects at the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, University of Toronto, and Toronto Metropolitan University.
- Research paper: “Revisiting the information audit: A systematic literature review and synthesis” (2017)
- Research paper: “iVal: An information evaluation framework for knowledge workers” (2016)
- Chun Wei Choo on “Revisiting the information audit: A systematic literature review and synthesis”
Workforce Services Design & Innovation
- What are the best practices for service design in Ontario’s employment services & training sector?
- How can the services delivered by Ontario’s employment services & training sector be improved?
- Research report: “Employment Sector Council’s Common Assessment Process: A case study of a collaborative community approach to service delivery, access, and excellence.” (2018)
- Research report: “Intergenerational healing and growth: A case study of the Aboriginal Skills Advancement Program.” (2018)
- Cayley Bower on “Employment Sector Council’s Common Assessment Process”
- S. Kathleen Bailey on “Intergenerational healing and growth”
Last updated May 22, 2023